If you are looking for affordable construction material, choose concrete. The production cost of the cement is comparatively low so you can buy it without exceeding your construction budget. It can also harden at ambient temperature and cast into a shape you want. It also has excellent water resistance characteristics. Though concrete has so much to offer, there are still a few builders who have not approached a concrete supplier yet. They believe that the material is prone to discolouration. Though it is not entirely wrong, visit the right concrete supplier and you don’t have to worry about discolouration.
What Is Concrete Discolouration?
For someone not aware of the term, concrete discolouration occurs when the surface of a concrete structure develops non-uniform colour. There might be mottled discolouration or deep blotches. The colour change can deteriorate the appeal of a structure so make sure you use quality concrete to make it. The colour change can also occur when cement is not mixed in the right proportion.
What Causes Discolouration Of Concrete?
It will become easier for you to deal with concrete discolouration if you are aware of the various reasons which cause it. When concrete is prepared in batches while making a structure, the source of cement or fine aggregate might change which can bring a change in placement sequence. Though this can cause concrete discolouration, it is very rare and insignificant. When you hydrate cement to a great extent, they become a bit lighter in shade. This effect can also occur due to insufficient mixing time or inconsistent use of admixtures. If you notice a greenish or yellowish tint has appeared on the concrete, it is an indication that the material contains ground slag. You can expect the shade to vanish over time. Generally, concrete discolouration does not occur due to a single factor.
Tips To Prevent Discolouration Of Concrete
- Avoid using cement with high alkali content if you want to reduce the chances of discolouration.
- Limit the quantity of calcium chloride or chloride-bearing chemical admixtures you are adding with concrete as it is considered to be the primary reason behind concrete discolouration.
- The condition, kind or type of formwork you are using when building a concrete structure can also impact its surface colour.
- Concrete suppliers in Croydon avoid trowel burning the concrete as hard trowelling the material can densify the surface and lead to dark discolouration.
- Unprofessional curing of concrete can also lead to discolouration as uneven curing impacts the degree of cement hydration.
How To Minimise Discolouration Of Concrete Slab?
Since discolouration of concrete has a negative impact on the appeal of a structure, your focus should always be on minimising or preventing it. Concrete suppliers always recommend adding proper protection to prevent the concrete from drying due to sun or wind, moisten absorptive subgrades and follow the right curing procedures.